Search My Blog

9/18/09

Antebellum homes of Dublin on Bellevue Ave

When I first visited Dublin, GA over a year ago, my boyfriend took me down Bellevue Avenue to show me the last of the few remaining victorian/antebellum style homes representative of the 'Old South' of when life was very good in this small town at the turn of the last century. When cotton was king in this part of Georgia, money flowed in effortlessly. One of the main railroads that put Dublin on the map cuts through town to deliver goods, such as cotton, to the port of Savannah, to Atlanta or other points across the United States. You can still hear the trains whistle as they signal their pass through town several times a week, traveling the same routes as they did over a 100 years ago. The pictures below are from a collection of old postcards from Dublin, GA's past. The Pope's Mill was an interesting one to include in this blog entry..Enjoy the rest of the pictures.
A few interesting pictures about the antebellum homes are shown below. I would like to personally note a couple of these homes as my favorites. The first one is the W.H Lovett home.
W.H Lovett's son, Griffin, the owner of the Dublin Courier Herald newspaper, now lives there. The home was built around the turn of the last century and my boyfriend's grandmother, Myrtis Corker-Bullard, daughter of Frank Corker (prominent banker, attorney, mayor) was born in this house and she lived there until she was 16 years old. The second home, is the Page House, which is now a bed and breakfast.
I keep telling my boyfriend I want a tour of the house and to stay in the Capt Hardy Smith room but we get sidetracked with the real Capt Hardy Smith house as we in now in the midst of major interior renovations. Check my boyfriend's blog or click on the link at the bottom of the main page on my blog 'Capt Hardy Smith House' for updates.
Most of the antebellum homes that lined both sides of Bellevue ave at the turn of the last century were torn down as I understand it to make way for smaller, more modern homes. As I pass the Corker/Lovett home and Page house everyday, I am thankful for the opportunity to experience what life was like in the 'Old South'. During the boom years of the early 20th century, Dublin was larger than Macon. As time went on and resources to do things more efficiently came about, people moved on and Dublin's population shrank. On your next trip on I-16, see for yourself what the history of this little town of not quite 20,000 people has to offer. You will be pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers of: My Life in Dublin, GA USA